Three Common Causes of Electrical Fires
Here at SERVPRO of Ronkonkoma, we restore fire damage in homes and businesses that need our help! We develop relationships with the owners of these properties and we generally see that there are similar causes of these accidents. Mistakes happen, but some of these mistakes can be avoided if you take action on the items below:
One of the most common causes of in-home electrical fires is outdated or broken appliances. Coffee makers, toasters, hair straighteners and things like this that are designed to produce heat. Over time, the wires can become frayed or the receptacles and switches can deteriorate. When this happens, the appliance loses the ability to control the power it is getting from the outlet and the system overheats, which can cause a fire.
These fires are easy to avoid if you take the proper precautions. Some light bulbs have a wattage that is simply too strong for certain light fixtures or lamps. When they are paired together incorrectly, dangerous things can happen. Check your lamps and light fixtures and look for the maximum recommended bulb wattage and only buy lights that are under that number.
These heaters are popular because they can heat specific areas of your home while keeping the furnace off and lowering heating bills. But the portable nature of these machines makes them extremely dangerous! People place them too close to curtains, beds, couches, clothing or rugs and the coils in the heater may ignite nearby flammable surfaces. If you are going to use a space heater, be sure to follow these space heater safety tips!
If a fire occurs in your Long Island home, water damage will likely follow due to firefighting efforts. Fortunately for you, your friends at SERVPRO of Ronkonkoma have seen a similar scenario before and we know all the right moves to get your home back to normal.
To schedule fire and water damage restoration services, call us at 631-585-0007 or contact us online at SERVPRORONKONKOMA.COM!